Chocolate Hazelnut Breakfast Protein Cookie
Cuisine: american | Recipe Type: breakfast/dessert/snack
- 8 ounce hazelnuts
- 1/2 c dark chocolate chips (we use Enjoy Life Brand to keep GF and Vegan)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 ripe Banana
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (see notes for substitutes)
- 1/2 cup chocolate Vegan Protein Powder
- 1 tbsp or more 100% cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Optional Hazelnut Extract (1/2 tsp)
- Extra dark Chocolate (melted) and hazelnuts for topping
- First Blend your hazelnuts and chocolate chips together in a food processor. Make a “mealy” base. It will be moist from the chocolate.
- Place in bowl.
- Add in your banana and coconut oil and extracts. Beat until blended.
- Add in your sugar, protein, extract, and cocoa. Mix again until blended.
- Roll dough into golf size balls and place on greased baking sheet. Press flat with hand or back of spoon.
- Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are browned a bit on the corners. They will still be soft but will harden later in fridge.
- While cookies or cooling, melt extra dark chocolate and drizzle the dark chocolate on top.Then crush extra hazelnut (you can crush in ziplock bag or food processor really quick) and sprinkle on top.
- Place cookies in fridge for 30 minutes so harden
- Makes 20-22 protein cookies.
For best baking texture, use a plant protein with pea protein in it. We used Vega Chocolate All in One
Brown Sugar or Palm Sugar will also work in place of coconut sugar but are unrefined.
You could also reduce sugar by using xylitol or baking stevia. The baking times will be a little different though so check cookies before 10 minutes if using a sugar substitute.