Grilled Chicken and Avocado Street Tacos
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 lbs trimmed boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp ancho chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- (About) 22 – 24 mini corn taco shells, warmed*
- 1 large avocado, cored and sliced
- 1 small red or yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Mexican hot sauce
- Add chicken to a gallon size resealable bag. In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin chili powder, 1 tsp salt and 3/4 tsp pepper. Pour mixture over chicken in bag then seal bag while releasing an trapped air. Rub marinade over chicken. Transfer to refrigerator and allow to marinate at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.
- Preheat a grill over medium-high heat (it should come to 425 – 450 degrees). Remove chicken from marinade. Season lightly with salt and grill until chicken has cooked through (thickest center should register from 165), turning once halfway through grilling, about 4 – 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and let rest 5 minutes.
- Dice grilled chicken into cubes. Layer together two tortillas per taco then add an avocado slice, diced chicken, onions and cilantro. Serve warm, spritzing each taco with lime juice and drizzling with hot sauce.
- *If you don’t want to double up on the tortillas you’ll only need about 12.